Mississinewa Web Site Banner

ID'ing David Dennis S2c - Death of SN Edward Darcy - Kaiten book available for sale - Ships ID'd in WWII photos

S2c David Dennis identified in crew photo

While searching for USS Mississinewa related information, I came across a FindAGrave page for a USS Mississinewa sailor, David Dennis S2c. The page showed an obituary photo of him and from that I was able to pick him out of the crew photo. The information was at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=126000123. rf

Tragic Accident aboard Mississinewa involving Seaman Edward Darcy:

The attack on 20November1944 was not the first time the Mississinewa suffered loss of life. On 10October1944, Seaman Edward Darcy died due to an accident aboard ship.

Ed Darcy Darcy Family

Edward Darcy

Photos courtesy of
MACS Robert E. Friedlieb, USN Ret.

Edward Darcy (left), Margaret (Lillis) Darcy his mother, Francis Darcy his brother, and his father Michael Darcy (right).  Photo was taken on Easter Sunday, April 9, 1944, in New Haven CT, just before Edward shipped out to the Mississinewa.

The following excerpt was taken from Kaiten - Japan's Secret Manned Suicide Submarine and the First American Ship It Sank in WWII by Michael Mair and Joy Waldron.

     On a day that marked tremendous victories for Allied forces in the Pacific, a horrible shipboard tragedy ended with an American sailor buried at sea. The calendar said October 10. As Formosa and Okinawa were under Allied air attack, hundreds of miles to the east Mississinewa sailors witnessed their saddest day.
Agonizing screams pierced the air that morning right after reveille, screams that burst out from the chain locker of the Mighty Miss. Seamen Patrick Curran and Herb Daitch rushed to the compartment and saw a shocking sight. Ed Darcy, a fellow seaman, lay slumped on the deck, scalded, the skin peeling from his body. Daitch grabbed Darcy by the arm to help but let go when scalded flesh sloughed off in his hands.
     On a working oiler, danger could come from the most unexpected quarters, and every sailor knew it. In this case the culprit was superheated steam, packing 400 pounds of pressure in temperatures over 700 degrees Fahrenheit. It could be a killer, and on this day it was. Superheated steam was invisible to the naked eye, and a small leak could cause serious injury. A pinhole leak rarely offered a sound -- not even a hiss -- to warn a potential victim. It was all too evident that superheated steam had escaped from the steam line and literally cooked Darcy. He hadn’t seen the ghostly wisps of death, never knew the danger until it was way too late.
     The elbow joint in the steam line that caused Darcy’s burns had previously burned seaman Herb Daitch a few weeks before from just from a miniscule leak. Daitch had reported the minor injury to an officer. Evidently this morning the superheated steam hit the water condensate in the line with thousands of pounds of force and blew out the faulty elbow.
     Darcy had entered the chain locker, his General Quarters station and dogged down the hatch behind him, a procedure he’d repeated every morning for months. Then the line blew. From his myriad cuts and bruises covering his body, it appeared the stricken sailor had fallen to the deck, desperately trying to open the dogged hatch, but his burned hands were unable to grip or twist the hatch wheel. In moments the killer steam cooked him alive.
     Panicked sailors summoned a stretcher, and Darcy was rushed to sick bay, where Dr. Bierley administered morphine and placed an oxygen mask over his face. The doctor inserted an intravenous needle and began to pump fluids into the terribly burned man and sprayed him with burn ointment. As Pharmacist’s mate John Bayak wrapped him in sterile gauze, he noted burns over his entire body except for a tiny patch on his abdomen that had been protected by his belt buckle.
     Delirious with pain, Darcy said over and over, “Look what they’ve done to me.” Bierley placed a stethoscope on his chest and listened to his breath gurgling in his lungs; he glanced at Bayak and shook his head, making no comment. The burns were fatal. Darcy wouldn’t live long.
     Though the smell of burned flesh sickened the pharmacist’s mate, Bayak made Darcy as comfortable as possible. Late in the morning, Bierley, on death watch, phoned the galley requesting a bite to eat. Cook John D’Anna was shocked to hear about the tragedy, recalled how he’d served Darcy at breakfast and exchanged friendly banter only a few hours earlier as he heaped eggs on the deckhand’s plate. It was unimaginable that the young man lay dying.
     As morning wore on, life seeped out of Darcy’s scalded body. At the dying boy’s request, Bierley summoned an ensign to sick bay to baptize him; Darcy clutched a rosary in his bandaged hands during the religious rite. He drew his last breath at 1100, five hours after the accident. Bierley called the bridge and notified Captain Beck, who signaled the commander of Task Unit 30.8 for permission to bury Darcy at sea. Permission was granted.
     All hands not on watch were ordered to witness the burial. Bierley ordered a canvas bag stitched for the rite; in order to make certain the bag sank, the gunnery department delivered two 5-inch/38 shells to sick bay, where the heavy brass casings were stitched into the bottom of the bag. As all hands assembled on deck, Mississinewa ceased zigzagging with the rest of the task unit ships and sailed free on the tossing seas.
     Darcy’s body lay on a board, the end with his feet rested on the starboard rail, the other end supported by a sailor. Two others held the corner of an American flag draped over the body. Herb Daitch, one of the honor guard, touched his shipmate’s body in a final farewell. Captain Beck conducted the burial as prescribed by Navy regulations, first reciting prayers. After the 10-minute ceremony ended, he nodded to the honor guard. The board was slowly lifted, and Darcy was committed to the sea, his body sliding out from underneath the American flag. The sound of Taps mournfully drifting across the deck. It was the worst day so far for Mississinewa sailors, who watched grim-faced as the bag containing Darcy’s remains slipped beneath the waves.

The following was Jim Cunningham's recollections regarding Edward Darcy, and particularly Edward's last day - Shared with www.ussmississinewa.com on 25 Nov 2015 . . .

     Jim Cunningham S2c, remembers Darcy as a big man. He and Jim talked often, usually about their mothers and their mothers' dedication to their faith. Jim's mother had given him communion wafers to carry with instructions to put one under his tongue when in danger of death. Knowing he was dying, Darcy asked Jim to come to him and give him one of the wafers on his tongue. Jim did as he was asked. The wafers had an image of the Virgin Mary, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, on them.

Jim still carries the last wafer in his wallet today and wants the Darcy family know that Edward is remembered and spoken of fondly.

Autographed Kaiten book now available through Mike Mair

Co-Author, Mike Mair, is now making autographed copies of Kaiten available. Just in time for the holidays . . .

Mike has been able to obtain "new condition" copies of Katien that have been returned from bookstores, but must now be sold as "used". When ordering these hardback copies, please request a personalized message, otherwise they will contain just Mike's signature. Anyone connected with the USS Mississinewa (AO-59) would love to get these "one-of-a-kind" books as a gift. Great for those WWII buffs you know, too!

To order, please send a check, filled out to Mike Mair, to:

Mike Mair
1525 Deborah Ct.
Platteville, WI 53818

Prices are:

  • $25.00 for one hardcover copy of “Kaiten” - incl. Priority Mail.
  • $50.00 for two hardcover copies of “Kaiten” - incl. Priority Mail.
  • $45.00 for one “Miss” cap with one hardcover book - incl. Priority Mail

Mike Mair Book signing


Ships identified in WWII photos of Mississinewa sinking at Ulithi Atoll

Recently, we've gotten some help identifying many of the ships in the photos of the Mississinewa burning at Ulithi Atoll. With the major help of David Stubblebine, a regular contributor to the informative WWII database, www.ww2db.com. David was researching Ulithi Atoll for a different project. He found a portion of the chart he was looking for online and eventually came to Ron Fulleman for a copy of the complete berthing chart from 1944. After being told what Ron was using the chart for, he offered to help. Within a week, David was able to identify almost 100 ships in the area, updating that information onto the berthing chart. Within a few more days, he had taken photos of the sinking ship and calculated out which ships where which within the photo. I'm sure we would all like to thank David for his selfless contribution of time and talent.

Ulithi 1944

View from the Essex

J. Rosenthal photo 1944



Page last updated 12/25/2016rf